Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sushi!!

I haven't really been cooking or baking this week because I'm still feasting on the food I've made last week and the weeks/months before that...I'm having such a problem trying to get rid of these dairy and egg products. I'm such a hoarder of food. I buy and buy and I never use it in fear of not having it for the next recipe. I guess I'll go to the fourth level of hell xD OH wells. In addition to the abundance amount of food I have, my b/f and I have been eating out a lot and I've been going over to his house to eat. Rawr!! Poo!!

VWAV and VCTOTW finally came in the mail yesterday despite the fact that I ordered it two weeks ago. So damn excited!! Anyways Enough ranting and bullpooping.

Mock Tuna (Vegan)

I've made mock tuna for I was craving for some creamy spread and I also had a can of garbanzo bean that was calling me. I got the recipe off of vegweb. I didn't do much to change it.

Recipe Yields 4 Serving 155.75 Cal/Serving

1 15 oz Can of Garbanzo beans
2 Tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise (Nayonaise, Veganaise, Homemade...whichever)
1 Tbsp Sweet Pickle Relish
2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
2/3 Tsp Fresh Lemon Juice ( A little more if you like )
Salt and Pepper to taste

  • Drain and rinse your garbanzo beans, you can use your own cooked garbanzo beans (less sodium and much more healthier).
  • Mash up your garbanzo beans with the potato masher or use a fork if you don't have a potato masher.
  • Mix in the sweet pickle relish, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Banana Cottage Cheese Sandwich (Lacto-Vegetarian)

It is my attempt to get rid of all my dairy products. This was open from like 1 weeks ago =X Surprised it didn't mold. It tasted perfectly fine so I made a sandwich with my over ripe banana. Sorry I spelled banana wrong in the photo. Eh... I still have my never opened 32 oz plain yogurt and sour cream that is a few weeks pasted it's sell by date. Thank goodness it's sealed in a vacuum container.

Recipe Yields 1 Sandwich 440 Cal/Sandwich

1 Medium (118g)Ripe Banana
2/3 - 1 Cup (150g-225g) of Low Fat Cottage Cheese (axelrod or friendships)
2 Tsp (8g) of Sugar
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 Tsp Grounded Cinnamon
2 Slice of Whole Wheat Bread
  • Slice your banana thinly (about 1/2 cm) width wise.
  • Mix the sugar, vanilla, ground cinnamon into your cottage cheese.
  • Spread the cottage cheese onto your first slice of bread, line the banana slices on top of the cottage cheese, spread the cottage cheese on top of the banana and then line it with the bananas again and continue until you've ran out of the banana or the cottage cheese.
  • Top your sandwich with the other slice of bread and enjoy.
Tomato TVP Fried Rice (Vegan)

It's fried rice I've made and brought to work for lunch. I bring lunch to work everyday now since most of my co workers order take out for lunch. There aren't many choices for vegetarian/vegan food and besides who knows if they cook the food on the same cooking wares. Made it with some tomatoes, garlic, some TVP I've made months ago.


Sushi (Vegan)


Verdict: I have 5 pack of nori, cucumbers and sushi rice so I need to get rid of some.
I got the sushi rice from about.com and the filling, I just used what I had.

Recipe Yields 8 Serving (8 pieces)
Bamboo Mat
Sushi Rice (Recipe follows)
Filling (Recipe/Instruction follows)
8 Sheets of Nori (Roasted Seaweed Sheets)
Bowl of Water

Sushi Rice
3 Cups (600g) Sushi Rice [clear short grain rice, the white short grain rice are the glutinous sweet rice]
3 1/4 Cups (769 mL) Water
1/3 Cup (79 mL) Rice Vinegar
3 Tbsp
(37.5g) Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
  • Wash and rinse the rice several times.
  • Pour the rice and the water into the rice cooker and turn it on. (If you don't have a rice cooker use a small nonstick pot, pour the rice and water into the pot and let it simmer and continuously stir until the rice has become white and absorbed all the water.)
  • After the rice is cooked, pour in the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix it well and do not mash your rice.

Filling
1 English Cucumber
1 Medium Carrot
1/2 Cup of Mock Tuna Salad
1 Package of Takuan (can be found in the asian frozen section)
Tofu marinated in Miso Sauce (Recipe follows)
  • Peel and deseed your cucumbers. If you are not using English cucumbers and your using a cucumber with a nice crisp skin, you don't really need to peel them. Some cucumber have really crisp skin not those waxy tough skin. The crisp skin actually adds texture to your cucumbers.
  • Julienne your cucumbers, carrots and takuan into 1/4 cm by 1/4 cm strips.
Miso Marinated Tofu
    • 1/5 Block of Extra Firm Tofu
    • 1 Tbsp Miso Paste, Shiromiso
    • 2 Tbsp Water (1 Tbsp if you want your tofu to be more flavorful)
  • Line your tofu with a clean towel and place some weights on it to squeeze out all the excess water for about 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile mix your miso paste with the water to create a diluted miso sauce.
  • Julienne your tofu into 1/2 cm by 1/2 cm strips and let it soak in the miso sauce for at least 15 minutes.
Constructing Your Sushi
  • Place your nori on your bamboo mat.
  • Even spread some rice on your nori. Make sure you get the sides. Just leave a 1 cm gap at the top edge of your nori.
  • Place the filling about 2 cm away from the bottom edge of nori.
  • Grab the bamboo mat and the nori and tuck the bottom edge of the nori under the filling and tightly roll your nori into a roll. Make sure you dont roll your bamboo mat into the sushi.


No comments: