Sunday, July 8, 2007

Many unsuccessful dishes =/

Attended a family bbq for July 4th so I decided to bring some food there and my mom asked "Why? There's yam and fruits" Wow very nice...yam and fruits. I decided to make the Green pepper wheat gluten steak. It's a recipe I got off of vegweb.com. It's modified to what have had in stock. Here's the recipe I used.


Green Pepper Wheat Gluten Steak (Vegan)

recipe yields 4-6 serving 246 cal/serving

1 12 oz Pkg of Gluten (the one found in the chinese supermarket)
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Tsp of Sesame Seed Oil
1/2 Cup of Onion, 1 inch half ring
2 Cloves Large Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper, Grounded
1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, Grounded
1/4 Tsp of Guilin Garlic Chili Sauce (Hot sauce will do)
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper, Grounded
1 Vegetable Bouillon
1 Cup Hot Water
1 lb Chopped Plum Tomato
2 Large Green Peppers
1 Large Red Pepper
2 Tbsp Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Cold Water
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce

  • Drizzle a pan with the olive and sesame seed oil and saute the onions. Then add the pepper and salt and saute it until they are almost tender.
  • Add the gluten and cook until the sides are lightly brown. Don't burn them! Then add in the ginger and garlic.
  • Dissolve the bouillon in the cup of boiling water and add to the gluten in the pan.
  • Let the food simmer for about 5 minutes and then add the tomatoes, peppers, cayenne and guilin garlic chili sauce and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • In a small cup or bowl create a slurry with the corn starch, soy sauce and cold water. Combine until all the corn starch has dissolved.
  • Mix the slurry into the food in the pan and let it cook until the sauce reaches your desire consistency.

I also made some vegan seasoned faux "sausage" patties but I don't think it tasted that great. It tasted a bit too herby since the recipe required a lot of herb. I like the texture of the pattie though.



Avocado = Guacomole :) Two attempt using two different recipe. I like the 2nd one more. I got this recipe out of one of my vegetarian book.

Guacamole (Vegan)

Recipe: Yields 4 Serving 173 Cal/Serving

2 Ripe Avocado, Mashed
2 Tomatoes, Seed and Chopped
6 Scallions, Finely Chopped
1-2 Jalapeno, Seeded and Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Cilantro
Salt and Pepper to taste

  • Peel and seed your avocados and then mash it up well with your fork or masher.
  • Quickly add the lemon juice and mix well. Then add the tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper. Incorporate all the ingredients together.
  • Serve with tortilla, crackers, bread etc.
"Zucchini in bikini are walking down the stairs" an excerpt of the lyric from the the children show "Banana in Pajama". Wow...I feel old that was from my childhood. Needed to get rid of my zucchini so I ate it. I also needed to get rid of my dairy items. The light cream has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a month.


Zucchini Dessert Pie (Vegetarian)

Recipe Yields 8 Servings 283 Cal/Serving

1 9 Inch Pie Crust (you can make your own or omit it to make a custard)
2 Cup Pureed Cooked Zucchini (About 2 really large zucchini)
1/3 Cup Rice Syrup
1/3 Cup Sugar, Granulated
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon, Grounded
3/4 Tsp Ginger, Grounded
1/4 Tsp Allspice, Grounded
1/4 Tsp Nutmeg, Grounded
1 Cup Light Cream, warm or (Vegan version: Soy Cream)
3 Tsp of EnerG + 2 Tbsp Water

  • Peel and cut your zucchini into 1 inch cubes and microwave it for about 8 minutes on high or until tender.
  • Drain out off all the water from the zucchini!!
  • Put the chunks of zucchini into your blender and blend it until there are no more solid pieces.
  • Mix the puree with the rice syrup, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
  • Warm the light cream and pour it into the puree mixture along with the egg replacer.
  • Pour it into the pie crust and bake it for 425F for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 250F and bake it for 40-45 minutes or until your knife comes out clean when inserted near the middle of the tart.
  • Let it cool down completely before serving.


Attempted to make pumpernickle rye bread but I'm not sure if it's really pumpernickel rye since it doesn't taste anything like the one my ex job had. Who knows I guess Ill try again with another recipe.


I made the Banana Split Pudding Brownie from VWAV. It tasted great but it was a bit too fudgy. I know it's suppose to be pudding but was it suppose to be goey? The photo I saw on ppk does not look like pudding. In fact it looked solid. I think the error occurred because I reduced the recipe to by 1/4 and I ended up baking it in a muffin pan since I don't have a small enough pan. The top of my brownie lumped inwards. It deflated!! Maybe it's because I filled the muffin pans too much. Who knows...I'll try baking it in a rectangular pan next time.

No comments: