Yes it has been a slow week. It's the second week of summer school. Calculus/intergals is hard work. After classes I go straight to work and on the days I have off, I spend all my time with my b/f. Not a lot of time for cooking. I've been just microwaving morningstar veggie bites for dinner and what not. I still have a lot of lacto octo vegetarian food...
I got this recipe off of recipezaar I still need to get rid of my vegetarian items.
Avocado Pie (Lacto Vegetarian)
8 in" pie/Serves 8 Slices - 282 cal/serving
1 /173g Avocado
1 14 oz/397g Condensed Milk, Canned
1/3 Cup/79 mL Lime Juice, Freshly juiced
12 1" by 2"/93g Graham Crackers, Crumbled
2 1/2 Tbsp/37 mL Baby food or Applesauce, Sweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Make the crust by crushing the graham crackers into medium coarse grains.
- Cut the baby food/applesauce into the graham cracker until the mixture is cut into texture like coarse bread crumb.
- Press the crumb onto the bottom of a 8" circular pan.
- Place the crust into the oven and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Let the crust fully cool before filling the crust.
- To make the filling pit and skin the avocado.
- Put the avocado, lime juice and condense milk into a blender and blend it into a thick puree.
- Pour the filling mixture into the pie crust and let it chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
It taste much better as leftover since the casserole firmed up and the tofu absorbed more of the flavor.
Vegetable Casserole (Vegan)
9" bu 5" loaf/4 servings
1 15 oz Block Firm Tofu, Thawed or in Packaged
1/4 /152g Eggplant, Sliced into 1/4"
1/2 /164g Large Zucchini, Sliced into 1/4"
3/4 /114g Large Onion, Sliced into 1/4"
2 Cup/592 mL Tomato Sauce
- It's best if you use thawed tofu because it absorbs more flavor. Drain the tofu and press as much liquid out of the tofu as possible with a heavy weight.
- Slice the tofu block into 1/3".
- Cook the Onions in a pan with some oil until half way tender then add in the zucchini and eggplant. Season with some salt and pepper and cook until tender.
- Drain as much liquid as you can because when you bake it, all the water sweats out of the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce or enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Then line the next layer with tofu and cover it with another 1/2 cup of tomato sauce or how ever much it takes to coat it.
- Line the next two layer with the zucchini and the onion and cover it with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Then line the last layer with the eggplant and coat it with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Bake it in the oven for 45 minutes.
Plum Preserves (Vegan)
Serves 4 4oz jars
2 lb/907 g Plums, Any
1/2 Cup/100g Sugar,Granulated
1/2 Cup/118 mL Water
1 3" Cinnamon Stick
- Pit the plums and roughly chop them into large pieces if you like large pieces in your spread and smaller pieces if you like jamish like spread.
- Mix the water, plums, sugar and cinnamon stick into a small pot and simmer it for about 45 minutes or until it reaches the consistency you like.
Cashew Butter (Vegan)
Yields 1/2 Cup/ 16 Servings of 1 Tbsp = 48Cal/Serving
1 Cup/129g Cashew, Salted Roasted
1 Cup/120g Cashew, Raw
- If you are roasting your own nut, preheat the oven to 325F
- Place the raw nuts on a shallow rectangular pan. Do not pack your nuts!
- Sprinkle enough salt for your tasting.
- Roasted for about 10-20 minute or until golden brown. Stir often because they burn easily
- Put the Cashews into the blender and blend it until it turns into butter.
VWAV's Chickpea and spinach curry. I made it with some coconut milk. hmm... :3