Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Homemade Rice Milk

I'm going to try and post smaller and more frequent post. It's hard to browse because you would have to keep scrolling down the the bottom of nothing just to get to your destination. :3 I've said that before but apparently I haven't improved yet.

Rice Milk
Have you ever tried Rice Dream or Whole's Food 365 Rice Milk? If you haven't you should! My initial reaction was damn this is good. I personally prefer rice milk over soy milk because it's so light, crisp and tasty but, soy milk provides more protein. I'm so upset by the price of these alternative milk since it cost around 3 dollars for a quart of UHT milk. I can finish that in two days!!! I've tried making my own rice milk using the recipes acquire from nomilk. I've tried two of the recipe and they do not come close to any of the commercial rice milk. Here's my review for them.

Rice Milk Recipe #1
1 Cup of Warm Cooked Rice
4 Cups of Warm Water
1/2 Tsp Vanilla

  • Cook some rice or you can use left over and put it in a blend.
  • Pour in the warm water and blend it on high until there are no more rice particles.
The Recipe ask you to let it sit for half and hour and pour off the water but my rice milk has been sitting in my refrigerator for a couple of days and never separated. The liquid was very thick and pudding looking. It did not taste like rice milk but rather like rice. If you have ever tried congee, it's like a pureed form of it. It's not the best drink beverage but I think it would work great as a thickener in cakes and it goes well with coffee.

Rice Milk Recipe #2


1 Cup Rice, Raw
4 Cup Warm Water
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
  • Wash the rice until the water becomes clear to get rid of all the starch.
  • Soak the rice in water overnight or for at least 4 hours.
  • Rinse the rice out with clean water and wash the rice until the water is clear.
  • Put the rice into the blender and pour in the warm water and blend for about 3 minutes.
  • Let the rice particles separate from the liquid and blend it again for another 1 minute. *(I found that if you just pour the layer of water off as the rice milk, it taste jsut like water)
  • Pour the rice water into a fine muslin cheesecloth and catch the liquid with a bowl or a bottle to filter out the remaining rice particles.
I think this recipe taste the most like the commercial rice milk BUT unlike the manufacturing companies, we do not have a nice fancy filtration device to filter out the liquid from the solid resulting in gritty rice milk!! Another problem is that when you let the rice milk sit in your refrigerator, the liquid will separate and it must be shaken before you use it. It is also not wise to warm or cook the rice milk because it will turn into a thicker form the previous rice milk. It's going to turn into paste!

BUNS BUNS BUNS!!!!


I'm in love with buns! Steamed buns to be exact. This has to be my favorite brand of steam buns. They're in such an adorable size and they come in several different flavor!! Red bean paste, lotus paste, sesame paste and butter cream. I don't the brand name in English but I just call it the Flower Head Man Buns!!! My mom bought the sesame paste one and the butter cream one. The butter cream is not vegan because it contains butter, cream and cheese powder. I'm not exactly sure if that is vegetarian since I'm not really going to call international to China. I've never heard of cheese powder but I'm assuming it's custard powder since many of the other companies uses custard powder to make the custard fillings. My mom love these buns too so she'll be eating the butter cream one. I believe the other fillings are all vegan but I don't have them stocked in my freezer. I'll edit this post when I purchase the other fillings.

Flower Head Man Buns
Sesame Paste Buns - Vegan
Butter Cream Buns - Not Vegan and ?? if it's vegetarian
Red Bean Buns - ?? for now
Lotus Bean Bun - ?? for now



No comments: