Friday, January 18, 2008

Home from Hyde Park

What a week! Even though I was home alone at my b/f's house all day while he went to school for 8 hours, I was very productive. I feel less bored there than I do at home. I feel so restricted at home because of my parents.

Here is what I have made during my stay upstate.

Chinese Steamed Buns
Had to try twice.
My first attempt...A tumorous kitty with sweet potato maple syrup filling.


2nd attempt back home...A normal looking kitty with some peanut butter and black sesame filling


I've learned from my mistake. DON'T OVER STUFF YOUR BUNS or they'll turn into fat tumorous buns.

Bun Recipe Yields 16 Buns 125 Cal/Bun

Yeast Mixture
60 mL || 1/4 Cup Water, 110F Warm Water
1 Tsp Sugar, Granulated
1/2 Tsp Active Yeast

Dough Mixture
150g || 1 1/4 Cup Bread Flour**
150g || 1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
28g || 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
113mL Water, Warm
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt

Filling

46g || 1/3 Cup Black Sesame Seed, Toasted*
32g || 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter, Creamy
25g || 2 Tbsp Sugar, Granulated
30mL || 2 Tbsp of Water

  • Mix the sugar into the warm water and dissolve the yeast into the liquid.
  • Let it stand for 8 minutes.
  • Meanwhile mix all the flour sugar and salt together.
  • Make a well in the middle and slowly add in the yeast mixture.
  • Then slowly add in the oil while mixing with a spoon or spatula.
  • After you add the oil slowly add in the water when all the flour are crumbly start mixing the dough with your hand.
  • Continue adding the water until the dough becomes smooth and soft. (May need more or less water depending on the flour.)
  • Knead the dough for 8 minutes.
  • Cover the dough with a damp cloth and a plastic wrap. Let it double for 45 minutes in a warm place or until it passes the indentation test.
  • While the dough is doubling make your filling by toasting your sesame seed @ 350F for 5 minutes stir it a bit and return to the oven or another 5 minutes.
  • Blend the sesame seeds in a blender or processor until it becomes pasty. Then add in the water and blend until it is combined.
  • Then add in the peanut butter and sugar and blend until everything forms a thick paste.
  • Split the dough and filling into 16 even portion.
  • Assemble by rounding one portion of the dough and flattening it. Be sure to make the edge much thinner than the middle.
  • Put a dollop of the filling and pull the edge of the dough towards the middle and pinch to seal the end.
  • Put the bun on a tiny piece of parchment paper. Continue to do that to all the portion of dough and filling.
  • Cover it with a damp cloth and a plastic wrap to let it rest and go through it's last rise for about 30 minutes or until the dough had double.
  • After it has double use a scissor to snip the dough to give it the buns point ears or spikes.
  • Boil enough water in a big wok or large pot on med-high heat. When it is boiling put the buns in a dish over a steaming rack or you can put the buns in a steamer.
  • Let it steam for 20 minutes and it will be throughly cooked.
Banana Mango Sherbet


I like the strawberry although it has nothing to do with the ice cream.

Spinach Broccoli Mushroom Soup


I like soup but I'm sick and tired of the creamy one. I need some soup that reminds me of my mom since I haven't had my mom's soup in so long since they're not VEGAN. My mom loves making broth soup, since he has never heard of creamy soup so I made this soup to remind myself of my mom's broth soup.

No comments: